It is critical to take sufficient time to recover after a race to avoid injury. It varies from person to person how much recovery time or rest days one needs. Seasoned adventure racers can usually bounce back after a day or two.
A rest day doesn’t mean any exercise but less intensive exercise like swimming, walking or a cross trainer can aid recovery.
Here is advice for the next few days:
- Foam Rolling- Even though it may be extremely painful foam rolling can release tight muscles.
- Hydrate: Keep drinking water throughout the week.
- Ice bath: jump into an ice bath or the ocean. This can decrease inflamed muscles or pains in the body.
- Stretch it out-Do your normal stretching routine.
- Yoga can aid in recovery and lessen injury by gaining strength and flexibility. Check out our youtube channel. for Aileen’s yoga stretch routine.
If you have an injury you should remember the golden rule RICE
- Rest- the damaged area.
- Ice-5 to 10 mins regularly.
- Compress- reduce swelling.
- Elevate-to prevent the accumulation of fluid.
Consult a physiotherapists if injury continues for a few days.