Many people have heard about Quest Killarney but don’t necessarily know what to expect or what’s involved.
Quest Killarney is the biggest and best adventure race in the country where competitors run, kayak and cycle in Ireland’s most rugged landscapes and breath-taking scenery. There are challenging and inspiring routes to suit all levels of fitness 27km Challenge, 55km Sport, 65km Dual (no kayak), 73km Pro and the 83km Expert.
Here’s what to expect:
- Expect an early start. The race starts early from 7am to 12.30pm depending on your wave time. Rise and shine early in the morning, in order to eat a good breakfast and arrive in plenty of time before your race start.
- Expect to be blown away by the scenery. Competitors can embrace the unspoiled beauty and breath-taking scenery of the mountains, valleys and Lakes of Killarney National Park.
- Expect varied conditions. As we all know about racing in Ireland, you can never rely on the weather! Be prepared by making sure you have suitable gear and proper shoes with a decent grip. Ensure you carry the mandatory kit.
- Expect to make great friends along the way. Adventure races are noted for their friendly, fun and supportive atmosphere. Whether you are looking to simply complete the course or reach a personal best, you will be drawn in by the camaraderie and helpfulness shown to you by other racers.
- Expect lots of competitors. Last year they were more than 2000 competitors taking part in the event. There will be racers of all levels doing the race, from seasoned pros and weekend warriors to absolute newcomers. If you are new to the world of adventure racing, DON’T be intimidated.
- Expect a huge sense of achievement. For most people adventure races are more about finishing the race rather than speed. It can take 2 to 8 hours to complete an adventure race. There is a huge sense of achievement when you cross the line covered in dirt, with wet socks and adrenaline pumping through your body.
- Expect a fantastic after party. The Gleneagle Hotel is the location for the after party. Hot food, Japanese hot tubs, a recovery zone and entertainment will be available.
- Expect to catch the adventure race bug!
Quest Killarney takes place on Saturday 12th of October. Registration is now open.